YOUR NEW PASSION AWAITS YOU
7 REASONS TO VOLUNTEER NOW!
Change is in the air. We can feel it and taste it. In this new decade, there is a palpable sense of excitement, anticipation and hope for the future, as well as a new resolve to reach out, to make an impact, to help a world which sorely needs healing. More than ever, we are acutely aware of the world around us, how social issues are created and their implications for our future. We understand that we are intimately connected to the rest of the world, that we are each a link in the human chain that contributes to the strength and vitality of the potential for good.
From the elementary schools to senior groups, from the neighborhoods to corporate America, we are increasingly becoming full partners in the process of change.
The volunteer movement, by any other name, whether “service learning”, “community service”, “getting involved”, or simply, “giving back”, has taken a place in the forefront of our collective consciousness. It has bound us together with the singular responsibility of creating a better world for ourselves, for our children, and for future generations . It has become a grass roots passion in which each voice is essential. And best of all, it presents abounding opportunities for anyone with time to give, be it an hour or a lifetime.
WHAT IS ACTION NOW NETWORK?
The goal of Action Now+Network is to offer a central landing place, a portal from which to learn about social justice, to become inspired to get out of the armchair, to become
immersed, and to connect to organizations as individuals or groups, that will channel your energy into action oriented volunteer programs.
Peruse the Take Action Now Index to explore by interest categories, all the possibilities where you can connect to become part of the change. On the way, meet real people who have made a difference – the Superstar Hero and Featured Organization will give you some great ideas to get started. Visit the Project Album to see what others are doing. Need more information on a social justice issue? Go to the ANN Virtual Library for more in depth articles and links to other research resources.
Now, if you’re still not sure you want to volunteer, here are seven reasons (you can’t ignore!) to break out of your apathy zone, and volunteer now:
1. Volunteering is good for your health. Recent studies have indicated that as little as two hours per week of volunteer work can actually reduce known risk factors for stress and depression, boost self esteem and improve your life expectancy.  
2. Volunteering expands your world: It offers a proactive way to expand your existing network of friends and deepen your understanding about human nature and the world.
3. Volunteering makes you feel good: A corollary to the above, volunteering can give you a renewed sense of purpose and excitement about life that follows from taking purposeful action to improve the quality of life for someone or something unrelated to you.
4. Volunteering is free! There is no financial outlay! All that is necessary is your time and enthusiasm.
5. Students: earn service learning or community service credit for middle school, high school or college graduation: Service learning and community service requirements expand your world from home and school, to a slice of life you might not otherwise experience. The ANN Virtual Library can help you narrow down your interest to zero in on something that moves you. Reap multiple bonuses from your field work: a new world of friends, future business contacts and an expanded resume. Start a movement of your own.
6. You can and will make a difference if you make an effort. Everyone has a unique talent to bring to the table and can be moved to do extraordinary things in the right environment. There are literally thousands of ways to begin. Browse the pages of the Take Action Now Index. There is a key place for you as a volunteer.
7. Discover Your Passion: The World really needs your help. Never have we faced such mind-bending local and global challenges, and there are so many great organizations working hard to make the world right. With a bit of research, you may even find a passion you never knew existed. There are no excuses not to get involved.
Action Now Network strives to be a resource that makes it easy to give back, to connect to organizations and others who are making a difference. Commit just an hour or two a week and get ready to be inspired. The future of our planet hangs in the balance and there is no time to waste. Find your social justice passion. Join the movement. Our future and our world depend on you.
Action Now Network
See how volunteering
can save your life!
We are looking for active participation from you in our website. If you have something to say about a social justice issue or a volunteer experience of your own, send us an article and it could get published on the home page. If you’re a student, you could win an Ipod Touch for your efforts!
 http://health.usnews.com/usnews/health/articles/ 070507/7health.volunteer.htm;
 http://www.worldvolunteerweb.org/fileadmin/docdb/ pdf/2007/07_0506_USAbenefits_health.pdf
 Apple is not a participant in or sponsor of this promotion.
Did you like this? Share it: